Monday, August 5, 2013

Are all those kids yours??

I come from a family of 7 kids.  While many people are shocked by this, I can't imagine anything else.  And I prefer it.  Growing up in a big family was the BEST.  Yes, there are some 'inconveniences'.  We may have to:
  • take two separate cars to get anywhere
  • sit in separate booths at a restaurant (after you wait an hour to be seated because your 'party' is so big AND you have forced gratuity)
  • be more conscientious of others when we're in the grocery store, on a bike path or in a crowd because we are a 'wide load, coming through'
  • share (knowing you may never see that shirt, pen, earrings or laptop again ;)
  • split up at Cedar Point because only half of us are tall enough for the 'big' rides
  • sleep lined up on the floor on many vacations because there aren't enough beds
But we've also learned so many things and grown in character in a way that I don't see in smaller families!
  • Generosity. We hold things with an open hand.  Maybe you need that thing today, but maybe a sibling needs it more than you tomorrow! 
  • Selflessness.  You're always reminded the world doesn't revolve around you!
  • Independence.  Sometimes Mom or Dad isn't available to meet  your every need (they have 6 other kids to think about!) so you toughen up, fend for yourself, kiss your own boo-boo, drive yourself to the airport
  • Conflict resolution.  With 9 people in your family, communication is of utmost importance and also being able to work through conflict.  Talk about things, forgive and move on.
  • Support.  You've never felt more loved than when you get off a plane and your whole family is there with signs and flowers, waiting to mob you!  My immediate support system is 3 times bigger than the average family's is.  So blessed!
Our joys are multiplied by 7 and our sorrows are divided by 7.  Christmas morning is 7 times more exciting.  The anticipation of a good birthday surprise is 7 times MORE anticipated.  Anything is better when you get 7 crazy Nicola kids excited about it :)

Side note: now we are starting to grow even more as people get married and eventually have kids.  There's always room for more...new additions don't threaten our family dynamics, they only add to it!  Bring it on...can't wait to see what God does in our family as we continue to grow!

1 comment:

  1. I love this Tal!!!!! Love your family. Thankful that I grew up knowing all of you, spending time at your house and always feeling like one of you when I was there. Yes, thankful. Love you T!

    ReplyDelete